· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Antoinette

Heard of Antoinette by chef-owner Pang Kok Keong before it was due to open at Penhas Road but I have yet to try it. Forgot all about the French patisserie until a recent The Straits Times article on "Tasteful Interiors", which featured Le Jardine D'Antoinette at Palais Renaissance. Reminded myself to make a trip down one day and was in Orchard on a weekday evening when I decided to try my luck at its Mandarin Gallery branch. As reservations are not allowed and queues are the norm on weekends, considered myself lucky to get a table. The enticing displays of pastries, cakes and desserts seemed to beckon me to the place, extravagantly furnished with opulence.


Ordered Antoinette's breakfast  choice of egg, grilled bacon and sausage, Pain de Mie toast, basket of viennoiseries and orange juice or coffee or hot chocolate. Sunny-side up was done just right with egg white smooth enough to slide down my throat and runny centres, which was perfect with a dash of salt flakes. I loved the bacon that was crispy and not fat but found the sausage too salty for my liking. Served on the side were raw greens with a tart dressing and of course, the thick hot chocolate I chose over the other two drinks. Loved how the toast was crispy on the outside yet soft and fluffy on the inside. Just like the basket of viennoiseries consisting of three mini pastries, including a croissant with a nice aroma of butter and a pain au chocolat with sweet filling. Yummy! Definitely a satisfying meal, both in terms of taste and portion.



You may also be interested in Antoinette Revisited.

Update: The branch at Palais Renaissance has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment