· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Sunday 4 January 2015

So Phô

After reading an article on the top 5 phô in Singapore, I decided to try So Phô by Katrina Holdings who also owns Bali Thai, Bayang and IndoBox among others. Located at the basement of Jem next to Jurong East MRT Station, the place is spacious and brightly-lit with round paper lanterns hanging from above. Red metal chairs, orange and white plastic chairs with wooden legs stood out against the mostly neutral palette  black ceilings with exposed pipes, grey walls with red and white motifs on one side and black drawings against white tiles on the other, dark flooring. Wood could be seen in shelves with plants and tealight holders from IKEA, tables and benches. There were available seats when I visited for late lunch on a weekend. Ordered Pô Bò, Vietnamese sliced beef noodle soup. The silky smooth flat noodles, reminiscent of thin kway teow, went well with thin slices of tender (neither too chewy nor gamely) beef in a rich yet light soup.


Was looking for dinner on a weekend when I saw that So Phô, which also has presence in NEX, has opened a new branch at Paragon. It is tucked away in a corner at the basement where Da Paolo Gastronomia, which has taken over the space by Canele Patisserie that closed last year, used to be. My dining companions and I shared Khai Vi Tõng Hop  a mixed appetiser of succulent and sweet prawn cake with sugar cane (so good we ordered another plate of Chao Tôm), fresh summer roll I could neither rave about nor fault, fried spring roll I am not a fan of even though it was surprisingly not oily. Loved the rice vermicelli for its contrasting texture in my Bún Bò Kho and while the Vietnamese beef stew was flavourful and the meat mostly tender, the taste was a tad too strong for my liking. But nothing that could not be washed down with my favourite Salty King or salty plum soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment